Friday, September 11, 2009

9/11

Remembrance: Today we remember those who perished on 9/11/01. I was getting ready to go into work at H.E.B. on that morning when my sister was screaming at me to come to the living room to see the t.v. When the second plane hit we stared in disbelief, knowing that it was no accident. My heart broke, and tears flowed as I saw the towers crumble. With people running for their life and not knowing what was going on in our country that morning, it seemed like I had weights stuck to my legs, could not move and did not want to leave home.
I left work early because I just could not focus. Many customers, including co-workers were so apathetic, that my heart broke. Having been in New York in 1998 and having family that lives there, including having my mom being born there....well, my heart was just broken by the devastation. You see, a part of me is still in the big apple. I fell in love with the city after attending a journalism conference at Columbia in '98. I've always dreamed of going back. In the mean time, my apartment is decorated throughout with pictures and items representing New York. My husband also fell in love the with the city when he went on a business trip with his dad, 5 years to the day that I went. I have pictures of the towers and he has pictures of ground zero. A very different experience.
So, today I remember.
I will never forget the images of people so desperate that they jumped out their windows. Did they know the towers were coming down? Did they think they might have a better chance of surviving if they jumped? I have no idea. And I have no idea what I would have done if that was me.
My thoughts are with those who have lost their loved ones, who perished and who were lost the day they died. We never know when it will be our time. Will we be ready?
I HEART NEW YORK.....and BROWNSVILLE too!
I will love You, O Lord, my strength. The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; My God, my strength, in whom I will trust; My shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. (Ps 18.1-2)

No comments:

Post a Comment