Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Near drowning

So, I thought I would deviate from the job search talk to talk about a near drowning this past weekend. My husband Sergio and I went kayaking this past weekend and spent a lot of time throughout the weekend at the island. Unfortunately, we had an accident when his kayak tipped over and he almost drowned. It was the scariest, most terrifying moment of my life. I've been there when loved ones have died and I've been in a car accident, seen my mom get hit by a van, have rushed to the hospital for various family emergencies including saying my last good-byes.....but nothing, I mean nothing compares to the image of seeing your best friend, lover, and soul mate grasping for air. I stayed calm and tried my best to calm him down. To reassure him that we were going to be okay. Two different boats came by and helped him/us out at different times and the coast guard did a fly over.
So, it was a big learning experience. First, if we ever kayak again, it will be in a pool! Second, God is good. He brought others along at just the right time. Third, God is to be number one in our lives. I've been praying that God will take center stage in my husband's life and that his heart would be softened to Him. I guess sometimes it takes being flipped over in a kayak for God to get our attention. So each day is getting a little better. We are both still sore and sunburned. We have come together and are really loving each other and not taking anything for granted.
I think we are now better equipped through this experience to love God more, serve him more, and love others more...showing the world around us God's unfailing love. It is my hope and belief that God will use us to reach out to others more because of this experience. I love my husband and can't imagine the world without him. God has us here for a reason. I'm still finding my way but I pray everyday that God will use me however he sees fit and NOT how I see fit. If you are reading this and it is still fairly current then I ask your prayers for my husband. Thank you.
"I thank my God for my every remembrance of you...." Ph. 1:3

1 comment:

  1. Wow, I'm so sorry. I can't even begin to imagine how scary that must've been for the both of you.

    I'll definitely be praying for the both of you.

    ReplyDelete